Home » Posts tagged 'White people'
Tag Archives: White people
CDC.gov has a great tool for showing United States statistics on death and injury, drillable by various details.
The tool is hosted at http://wisqars.cdc.gov:8080/cdcMapFramework/
As a test I decided to map out injuries due to fire arms , and compare firearm deaths of white people versus the whole population.(see firearm deaths file)
See white people are more likely than black people to own guns (also read http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9572612 ), but it seems statistically they are less likely to be injured by firearms- so it could affect support for gun control laws on a racial ground- that was my null hypothesis. No politics, just plain statistics. I dont know- why dont you look at the data and decide-
- On MLK Day, A Continued Fight Against Health Disparities (health.change.org)
- CDC finds health disparities among races (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- CDC: Binge Drinking ‘Huge U.S. Health Problem’ (webmd.com)
- On Health Disparities & Inequalities in the U.S.: 2011 Report (medhumanities.org)
- Tainted food sickens 48 mln each year: CDC (reuters.com)
- Flu Is Widespread in 11 States (webmd.com)
- CDC: Asthma rate in US up a little to 8.2 pct (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
An excellent summary of 2011 Census Statistical abstract was given by NYTimes at
Like more white people now enjoy jazz than black people now (presumably who have got rap music), but not details enough on ahem country music
The Data book is at http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/
What is the Statistical Abstract?
The Statistical Abstract of the United States, published since 1878, is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
Use the Abstract as a convenient volume for statistical reference, and as a guide to sources of more information both in print and on the Web.
Sources of data include the Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic Analysis, and many other Federal agencies and private organizations.
Tables of Interest
From the last table you can see , while the number of officers killed or feloniously killed decreased by 20% in past five years, the number of officers assaulted by firearms grew by 20% in the same period.
- This Tract provides a view of Census data on your block (flowingdata.com)
- “Recession-bruised states’ revenue sank 30 percent in 2009, Census Bureau reports” and related posts (nalert.blogspot.com)
Name an industry in which top level executives are mostly white males, new recruits are mostly male (white or Indian/Chinese), women are primarily shunted into publicity relationships, social media or marketing.
Statistical Computing And Business Intelligence are the white man’s last stand to preserve an exclusive club of hail fellow well met and lets catch up after drinks culture. Newer startups are the exception in the business intelligence world , but a whiter face helps (so do an Indian or Chinese male) to attract a mostly male white venture capital industry.
I have earlier talked about technology being totally dominated by Asian males at grad student level and ASA membership almost not representing minorities like blacks and yes women- but this is about corporate culture in the traditional BI world.
If you are connected to the BI or Stat Computing world, who would you rather hire AND who have you actually hired- with identical resumes
White Male or White Female or Brown Indian Male/Female or Yellow Male/Female or Black Male or Black Female
How many Black Grad Assistants do you see in tech corridors- (Nah- it is easier to get a hard working Chinese /Indian- who smiles and does a great job at $12/hour)
How many non- Asian non white Authors do you see in technology and does that compare to pie chart below
Note_ 2010 Census numbers arent available for STEM, and I was unable to find ethnic background for various technology companies, because though these numbers are collected for legal purposes, they are not publicly shared.
Any technology company which has more than 40% women , or more than 10% blacks would be fairly representative to the US population. Anecdotal evidence suggests European employment for minorities is worse (especially for Asians) but better for women.
Any data sources to support/ refute these hypothesis are welcome for purposes of scientific inquiry.
- Black Male Students Doing Worse Than Bad [Education] (gawker.com)
- SAP Still Winning Business Intelligence Trench War Against Oracle, IBM (blogs.forbes.com)
- “New Report on Black Male Achievement Reveals Jaw-Dropping Data” and related posts (d-edreckoning.blogspot.com)
- Getting the Word Out: Improving Access to Data Throughout Your Company (informationweek.com)
- Business Intelligence and the Kung Fu Dragons of Wudang (oracleprophet.wordpress.com)