Updated- Tammi Kay George has given an extensive answer to the questions posed -
While SAS Institute is going ahead with plans to launch SAS/IML with R integration, the questions that should be in the minds of people familiar to R and SAS are-
1) Will SAS Institute share revenue with package developers.
2) Would R Core stick to strategy of favouring REvolution Computing over other R application providers. or the R community to an anti-SAS strategy.
3) Would academics and students be better off or more confused than before.
4) Will this help restrict R ‘s brand perception to just a matrix level program or Will this help R gain more enterprise acceptance.
5) What about legal questions of GPL source sode sharing.
So many questions. So little time.
Screenshot- Existing SAS/IML Studio Page